Living the Life! Simple Ways to Improve Your Dog’s Life
You take great care of your pet but are there ways to improve your dog’s life? Our pets make us undeniably happy, offering an unconditional love that is immeasurable. So, it is no wonder why, as pet owners, we ask about ways to better our dog’s lives. We want the same wonderful existence for our dogs that we strive for, and do this in ways related to their best health and wellbeing.
To answer the question of ways to improve your dog’s life, the team at Oakland Veterinary Referral Services is here. We offer a few simple ways to create health, happiness, and fun for your dog’s incredible life.
5 Simple Ways to Improve Your Dog’s Life
The life of a dog seems pretty basic, doesn’t it? They adore nothing more than their mealtimes, walks, and sticking next to you. Those are the basics, but you can also enhance their quality of life in a few simple ways.
- Pay attention for 15 minutes (no cheating) — It is rare these days to pay attention to anyone for more than a few minutes, without looking at the cell, TV or other device. The world is full of distractions, but where does that leave our pets? Consider taking 15-20 minutes each day to just hang out with your furry one without doing anything else. This undivided attention will enhance the bond you share, as well as give them more playtime and exercise.
- Go outside more — Many of us have a tendency to cocoon indoors these days, especially as the weather gets cold. Fresh air and sunshine are great recipes for everyone’s well-being. Bundle your pup up and set out to walk or play fetch during the midday or when it is warmer outdoors. Just 15-30 minutes of fresh air and the opportunity to greet other dogs will go a long way to creating a happier dog.
- Brush their teeth — Oh, yes, this may not be up there on anyone’s idea of fun, including your dog’s, but it is necessary. Tooth brushing can contribute to your pet’s overall health and longevity because it reduces the risk of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease and other oral problems often lead to infection and inflammation which affects many of the body’s organs. So grab that doggie toothbrush and toothpaste and get to brushing. (We can help you with instruction, if you are wondering how to effectively brush your pet’s teeth.)
- Keep your dog active and engaged — Boredom is real in dogs, too. They need things to do and become interested in, in order to stay happy. Plus, a bored dog is prone to misbehave. Many behavioral issues can be linked to a lack of exercise, mental enrichment, and play. Choose a variety of challenging toys for your Fido friend, such as puzzles or interactive toys, like a rope toy or Frisbee. Or take on a challenging activity like agility or trick training, or even therapy dog training.
- Treat your dog to an adventure — Whether you take your pup on your next vacation, or simply want to add some adventure at home, your dog will love it! Dogs adore new and exciting activities as much as we do. Take some time to go on a road trip together, hike a new trail, find a cool park, or treat your bestie to a dog-friendly vacation. No matter what you choose to do, your four-legged friend will reap the rewards of this time adventuring with you.
There are so many ways you can improve the life of your dog. This might include switching them to a healthier, more nutritional diet, giving them a massage, keeping their health in check through wellness examinations, and setting up a grooming appointment for their skin and coat health. No matter what you choose, consciously deciding to focus on your dog’s well-being is where it is at!
Your friends at OVRS are here to answer any questions about how to improve your dog’s life. Simply give us a call if we can help with your dog’s health.