The Gift That Keeps On Giving: Pet-Friendly Donations
For many people, giving to those in need is a big part of the holiday season. With such a large number of deserving charities out there, it can be difficult to choose where to contribute your hard-earned dollars.
If you are considering donations to a pet or animal friendly cause this year (it is our fervent hope that everyone is), allow us to suggest a donation to OVRS’ own TEAR Foundation or one of our Michigan-based favorites:
- The Emergency Animal Relief Foundation – TEAR is OVRS’s very own non-profit organization. With your financial support, we are able to provide funding for sick and injured animals without owners, assist pet-owners in need, and for community outreach and education efforts.
- Animal Welfare Society Of Southern Michigan – The AWS is a no-kill shelter located in Madison Heights. In the past 30 years, the Animal Welfare Society has found homes for over 20,000 dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens. The AWS also runs a pet-food assistance program, offering free pet food for those in need.
- Almost Home Animal Rescue League And Haven – Founded by a mother-daughter team in 2001, this remarkable organization is committed to finding every animal that passes through their doors a “forever home”. Your financial support will go directly toward food, medical care, and housing for rescued animals.
- All About Animals – All About Animals is a no-kill shelter with a passion for spay/neuter outreach and education. Besides offering low-cost spaying and neutering, AAA provides vaccinations, preventative care, flea prevention and office visits.
- Detroit Dog Rescue – This no-kill shelter focuses on the rescue, rehabilitation and adoption of Detroit’s homeless and stray dogs. They offer education, vaccination clinics, and assistance to local police and fire departments.
- Home FurEver – This foster based canine rescue organization started in 2003 and focuses mainly on dogs and puppies rescued from inner-city Detroit. Home FurEver relies entirely on donations and fundraising efforts to pay for the food and veterinary care they provide for rescued dogs.
- Michigan Animal Rescue League – MARL’s team of dedicated employees works daily with rescued dogs and cats to provide them with training, socialization opportunities, good nutrition, medical care, and most importantly unconditional love. MARL staff get to know each animal individually in order to help them find the perfect home.
Also consider Leader Dogs for the Blind, Michigan Humane Society, A ReJoyceful Animal Rescue, and Tigerlily Cat Rescue that we recommended in an earlier blog about local pet-friendly organizations to support. In nearby Wisconsin, Gunnar’s Wheels provides carts free of charge to pets who have lost mobility in their front or hind legs.
These outstanding organizations work tirelessly to support the needy animals of our community, and would not be able to continue their important work without the financial support of their fellow community members. We hope you will consider giving to one or more animal charities this holiday season.
Wishing you, your family, and your pets a happy and healthy holiday!