Tails Around Detroit: Dog-Friendly Restaurants and Bars
Summer means sitting outside more often at our Detroit area restaurants and bars. Why not take your best buddy, Fido, along? There are more and more dog-friendly restaurant, cafe and bar patios in our area each day where Fido is welcomed.
Am I Allowed to Bring My Dog to a Bar or Restaurant?
Dogs are generally still not allowed on the patios of most bars and eateries unless they are service dogs. What’s currently legal is for dogs to be allowed in outdoor seating areas where food is ordered inside and carried out with no active waitstaff service. Or for a dog to remain on the sidewalk and be tied to the railing. Even then, it is up to restaurant whether they welcome dogs or are dog-friendly.
A bill passed the Michigan State Senate last year, but it must also pass the House before eateries with will have the legal option to allow dogs access to patios and outdoor areas with active waitstaff service. Even if the Bill passes, dogs won’t be allowed inside a restaurant. If the restaurant has an outdoor eating area, it must be one that doesn’t require the dog to pass through the restaurant in order to get there.
Michigan restaurants and bars will have the option to allow dogs under the new law, but it will be their choice and they can opt for only certain types or sizes of dogs. Restaurants and state legislation are already leaning toward accommodating dog owners when possible. Therefore, some bars and restaurants have been skirting (or even ignoring) the law’s boundaries if they don’t receive complaints.
Check first whether the place you have in mind welcomes dogs and to what degree. If you’ll be there at a busy time, you may want to make a reservation for an outside table near the sidewalk or street.
Practice Good Doggie Etiquette
Restaurants, cafes and bars will welcome well-mannered dogs that don’t bark and cause problems for other diners. Even in places with a variance, practice good doggie etiquette by keeping your dog on leash, close to your table and out of the waiter’s path. Don’t allow your dog on the chairs or the table or in your lap. Bring your own water bowl just in case since restaurants aren’t allowed to use their regular dishes to serve dogs. And please try to prevent your dog from urinating or defecating near other diners. Complaints of bad dog (and owner) behavior are what has fueled resistance to the new Bill.
Dog-Friendly Bars, Cafes and Restaurants In the Area
Let’s look at a few of the dog-friendly places in the vicinity of Bloomfield Hills and in the larger Detroit area. There are many more. Check places like BringFido.com for other dog-friendly destinations, or call to be sure your dog is welcome.
- Stroh’s Ice Cream Parlor in Bloomfield Hills welcomes dogs.
- PizzaPapalis in Bloomfield Hills and around Metro Detroit is a dog-friendly place that features deep-dish Chicago pies.
- Sunny’s Cafe in West Bloomfield Township welcomes Fido.
- Steve’s Deli (outside tables or inside the mall).
- The Gallery (outside tables or inside the mall).
- The cafe/restaurant at the Maple Theater (covered patio).
- Jolly Pumpkin is a dog-friendly ale house. The Royal Oak location has a dog variance and two patios where dog owners can sit with their dogs. They will bring your dog a bowl of water.
- Bigalora Wood Fired Cucina offers wood-fired pizza, pasta and has a dog variance.
- Pronto! is a cafe with soups, sandwiches and a dog variance.
- Tom’s Oyster Bar earned 5 bones as a dog-friendly place for seafood.
- Lily’s Seafood is also dog friendly.
- Hamlin Corner – this sports bar with 50 draft beers rated 5 bones as extremely dog friendly.
- Barstone Brewery – Craft brews and scratch-made pub grub with a dog-friendly patio.
- Townhouse offers American comfort food plus a dog variance for a lively outdoor seating area.
- Cafe Via is an American bistro with dog-friendly courtyard patio seating. It rated 5 bones on BringFido’s list of dog-friendly restaurants.
- Streetside Seafood – contemporary twists on seafood with dog-friendly patio tables.
- Tallulah – wine bar with seasonal farm to table bistro fare and outside, dog-friendly seating.
- Schakolad Chocolate Factory – chocolate and dessert place that welcomes dogs at outside tables.
Ferndale’s establishments are as famous for welcoming dogs as for their happy hour deals, array of ales, giant pretzels and pub food.
- Rosie O’Grady’s in Ferndale serves artisan pizza, burgers and comfort food and encourages guests to bring their dogs. They have a special section of patio that is dog friendly and they will bring Fido a bowl of water.
- Detroit Fleat is a food truck park with lots of Fido-friendly outdoor seating.
- M-Brew has a 2-tier patio with dog treats and water bowls for dogs.
- Woodward Avenue Brewers (WAB) offers home-brewed beers, and water bowls and dog treats for Fido.
- The Emory is a chic bar with a dog-welcome outside patio.
- O’Connor’s Public House Irish Pub – very dog friendly and has the variance.
- Avery’s offers American pub fare with 10 dog-friendly outside tables.
Others In the Area
- Witch’s Hat Brewing Company in South Lyon has a newly-granted dog variance.
- Aurelio’s Italian Grill in Clinton Township is dog-friendly with inexpensive, classic Italian fare.
- There are tons of dog-friendly places to get a mile-high burger or frank with chili and other yummy toppings. Ellie May’s Doggie Bag over in Walled Lake is a great, dog-friendly one to try.
- Farmington Brewing Company welcomes dogs as well
- Sweets in Auburn Hills is owned by a dog-friendly family and they serve dog treats in addition to lunch, ice cream and baked goods.
- Joebar in Hazel Park has burgers, brews and has dog-friendly patios and is one of the few SE Michigan places with a dog variance.
- Shake Shack in Troy has a dog variance. They are very dog-friendly, offering a dog menu, Pooch-ini or a bag of biscuits.
- Traffic Jam and Snug is super dog friendly and serves beer, ice cream, pie and more.
- La Dolce Vita has lovely landscaping that earned it the title “best patio in Detroit” so you and Fido can enjoy both the food and the ambience.
- 15 Metro Detroit Dog-Friendly Bars including Batch Brewing Company.
- Dogs are welcome at outside tables at Starbucks all across Michigan.
- Popular nationwide chains Panera Bread and Chipotle all have stores in local areas that welcome pups.
If you are more of the feline mindset, check out Catfé Lounge in Ferndale, which has taken the cat café pet adoption concept to a new level.
For additional dog-friendly choices, visit www.bringfido.com and enter restaurants and your destination city. The staff at Oakland Veterinary Referral Services in Bloomfield Hills wishes you Bone Appetit!