Our Favorite (Virtually) Indestructible Dog Toys
Does your dog shred any toy you give them within days, hours, or even minutes? Are you getting tired of spending money on dog toys that you know are going to end up in the trash soon? Do you worry about your furniture, shoes, and other household items being destroyed by your overzealous best pal? If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you are the proud pet parent of an ‘extreme chewer’.
Many dogs fall into the category of aggressive/extreme chewers, and the pet products industry has responded in kind by creating a wide variety of virtually indestructible dog toys.
The Benefits Of Indestructible Dog Toys
Dogs who manage to shred any type of toy you give them, regardless of the material, can be more than expensive and annoying; extreme chewers often tear or rip their toys into chunks, which could then be swallowed, posing a risk of choking or intestinal blockage.
By providing your pooch with truly tough toys, you will be keeping them safer while still satisfying their natural instinct to chew (and keeping your furniture, shoes, and other possessions safe in the process)
Dogs love bones, but real bones can splinter and cause a host of problems for an extreme chewer. Try these options instead:
- Nylabone Dental Dinosaur – This dinosaur is not only indestructible (and super cool looking), its raised bristles helps to control plaque and tartar as your dog chews
- Zogoflex – Not only does this bone-shaped toy float on water if your dog destroys it the company will send you a new one free of charge!
- Rocking Peanut Butter Bone – Durable, cleans teeth and tastes like peanut butter. Who could ask for more?
Many extreme chewers are also lovers of fetch in all its forms, but replacing a ball every few days is no fun. Check out these “pawsome” options for hours of safe, high-energy fun:
- Bionic Ball – This tennis ball-sized toy floats on water, can be stuffed with treats, and will bounce in any direction you choose.
- Megalast ball – The perfect size and bounciness level for serious fetch-lovers, with durability that can’t be beat.
- Varsity Ball – So tough it’s given to tigers in the zoo!
Soft But Tough
Some dogs absolutely adore soft toys, and there’s nothing cuter than watching a dog carry around a stuffed animal. Unfortunately, these are the easiest toys to destroy, especially when a squeaker is involved.
These may not last forever, but they are certain to stand up to an aggressive chewer better than the average soft toy:
- Squirrel Squeaker Mat – Although your dog may eventually rip this flat toy apart, there is no stuffing inside to be swallowed or spread throughout the home, and multiple squeakers give your dog several “targets” to work on.
- goDog Dragon – Made of chew-resistant Chew Guard Technology, a Kevlar-like material, these cuddly dragons can take a beating.
- Invincibles Gecko – This squeaky toy is not only made of two layers of tough fabric, but the squeaker will also continue to squeak even after it’s been bitten through by an exuberant pooch.
What are your favorite indestructible dog toys? Post a picture to the OVRS Facebook page, or let us know the next time we see you. Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you have regarding your extreme chewer!