The Best Snuffle Mats to Entertain Your Dog
Snuffle mats–what are they and why would your dog need one? Most dogs are prone to snarf down anything edible in their path, including their meals. Within seconds, the once full bowl sits empty. This can be a problem for some dogs when it comes to good digestion. Eating too quickly can lead to a serious condition commonly referred to as ‘bloat.’
These are reasons why snuffle mats have become popular among dog owners. And they are great for keeping your pet occupied with an enriching game of sniffing out the food. Oakland Veterinary Referral Services has reviewed several dog snuffle mats on the market. Here are some of the best of 2021.
The Top Snuffle Mats for Dogs This Year
A snuffle mat is a type of food or treat bowl made out of felt or other soft material. It’s designed to look like grass, weeds, or other natural forms, offering several nooks and crannies where the treats or food “hide” in waiting for your dog to forage them out. These simple toys are designed to keep your dog interested and to slow down their eating speed. It’s also a great stress reliever for dogs who have anxiety.
There are several types, sizes, and designs on the market. Here are 6 of our favorite snuffle mats for dogs.
- Wooly Snuffle Mat – This is one of the best rated snuffle mats that is hefty enough for large breed pups, at 12”x18” in size. Easy to keep clean and launder, this mat by Paw keeps your dog active and curious, which goes a long way in fulfilling their enrichment needs. Dogs will love to put their foraging skills to work by snuffling through the wooly grey material to look for the tasty rewards. No wonder this mat is high ranking!
- Stellaire Chern Snuffle Mat – This is one of the better snuffle mats for dogs, being versatile and offering many options for your dog to choose from when weeding through the mat. From discs and cones to taco-shaped forms, to the traditional grass design, this mat packs in several fun items to scavenge through. Machine-washable and perfect for small to large dogs, the mat is easy to fold up and store whenever it is not in use.
- Awoof Pet Snuffle Mat – This nonslip, portable dog snuffle mat is designed to look like blades of grass. It is easy to clean by throwing it into the wash with your pet’s blankets and other items. Using the handy cord feature, you can make the mat smaller in size and enclosed. Tightening the cord and narrowing the bowl makes it more challenging for your pet to find the food.
- Yinxue Multi-pet Snuffle Mat – If you have a doggie household, this mat is great for several dogs to use. Roll up this large puzzle blanket when it’s not in use. It comes in several different colors and has the favorite faux grass design made of felt that dogs love to rifle through to get to the goodies. The non-slip bottom keeps the snuffle mat in place and the mat is also machine-washable.
- Liakk Snuffle Mat – If you like a little more style to your dog’s snuffle mat, check out this sunflower mat by Liakk. This pretty mat will keep your dog’s curiosity piqued and the fun going with its felted petals – the perfect hiding spot. You can choose from a few different sizes that can accommodate both small-medium to large dogs.
- Snuffle Mat Brain Game – If you like to support the DIYers out there, there are some amazing handmade snuffle mats on Etsy. This one is super colorful and will be sure to delight your dog and challenge them. This fleece and plastic design is easy to wash and offers that non-slip base that keeps it from moving around when your dog uses it. You can also choose from a variety of designs, colors, and sizes, too.
Snuffle mats are popular, and for good reason. They provide mental enrichment and exercise, slow down speedy eaters, and give anxious pets something constructive to do to relax them. We hope you find the best mat for your best friend. If you have questions about how to use dog snuffle mats, or need emergency or specialty pet care in southeast Michigan, please do not hesitate to call.