Cozy Canine: Best Orthopedic Beds for Dogs
Orthopedic beds for dogs are a great choice when your pet is achy, stiff, or experiencing pain that makes it hard for them to rest on standard beds. If your pet is in their golden years or has had an injury, surgery, or chronic condition, there are good reasons for swapping out their old bed. This is because orthopedic beds are designed with additional thickness and comfort due to the materials used to make them.
It can be hard to find the right bed for your bestie when there are several brands of dog beds that promise to be the best. This is where we come in! Here are the top-rated and best orthopedic beds for dogs to help you narrow down the selection.
8 Great Orthopedic Beds for Dogs
Orthopedic dog beds range in size, material, thickness, and comfort, as well as the price tag. You don’t need to spend a lot for a bed, though, to get great quality. Pets with more serious arthritis or other joint degenerative conditions will likely need something substantial and supportive in a bed. You can always discuss with your veterinarian which types of beds are a good choice for your furry loved one.
Here are some of the better selections in orthopedic beds for dogs.
- Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed – This bed is for the oversized Fido, those large and giant breeds. This mattress gives even dogs over 100 pounds (ca. 45 kg) enough room to stretch out without spilling over the bed. With three cozy memory foam layers, this bed supports heavier dogs and is a comfortable choice for dogs with any condition that causes them to be sore or achy.
- Best Friends by Sheri Lux – This donut-shaped bed is perfect for small dog breeds, without compromising the integrity of the quality and comfort. Small dogs love the donut or walled style of bed, as it makes them feel more secure. This bed offers a water-resistant bottom and is machine washable.
- K&H Pet Products Lounger – This aesthetically pleasing dog bed is perfect for the pet owner who appreciates both comfort and style. This cushioning dog bed features three layers consisting of a foam base, bolster cushions and walls, and a pillow top cover. The extra benefit is that the pillows have zippers, so you can remove and launder them.
- Milliard Premium Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Bed – This simple style of bed has the extra benefit of having an antimicrobial slip over the top that you can remove and wash. Many pets dislike walled beds, so this is a good choice for medium-to-large breeds who love space. This mattress consists of two human-grade memory foam layers that are supportive and comfortable.
- Brindle Waterproof Dog Bed – The Brindle offers 4 inches (ca. 10 cm) of depth, with 2 inches (ca. 5 cm) of memory foam. Durable, comfortable, and easy for a dog to get in and out of, this bed is made so that it can be used inside a crate. If your pet is incontinent, the waterproof feature is a big plus, with easy to clean materials.
- PetFusion Ultimate Memory Foam Dog Bed – PetFusion Ultimate is a good choice for pets who are hard on their beds. It is durable and long-lasting, for even the roughest canine who loves to chew. The beds have 4-6 inches of memory foam, so your pet will feel like they are sleeping on a cloud!
- BarksBar Orthopedic Pet Bed – This super plush bed comes with side cushions to support the head and neck. Combining soft cotton padding with memory foam, this bed consistently ranks among the top ten orthopedic beds for dogs over the past few years. It’s also easy to maintain and you can launder it in the washing machine.
- FurHaven Round Snuggery Bed – For the pet who loves to snuggle under covers, this bed comes with a sheepskin hood that can keep your pup cozy. The perfect bed for a recovering pet (or the family kitty), the Snuggery also supports the muscles and joints with a comfortable memory foam layer. This is a popular choice for winter since it has extra warmth.
Orthopedic beds can be a great asset for pets who have arthritis or other conditions that cause discomfort or pain. If your pet is recovering from a surgery, they also need the added comfort of a bed that supports their whole body.
If you are still wondering which orthopedic beds for dogs are the best or what your older pet needs, please reach out to the team at Oakland Veterinary Referral Services. If you have any questions about orthopedic injuries or conditions in dogs, we are your go-to source of excellent veterinary care. We look forward to hearing from you.