Cozy and Dry: The Best Dog Coats and Rain Jackets
This time of year brings temperamental weather to the Detroit area. One day it is frigid with snow in the forecast, while the next week brings warmer weather and rain showers. This is why it is so important to have all of your pet’s outdoor apparel needs met, so you are prepared for whatever Mother Nature has in store.
Of course, there are a sea of options in dog coats and rain jackets, making it hard to choose the right one with high quality at a good price. The team at Oakland Veterinary Referral Services is your source for many of the best products to choose.
Downpour Doggie Rain Jackets
When the winter months bring in rain clouds, the normal cold seems much chillier, thanks to the damp, wet weather. This is why your dog needs waterproof gear to keep them dry on damp, rainy, chilly days. Here are some of our top picks for dog rain jackets, sure to keep the rain from being a doggie downer.
- Hurtta Pet Collection Torrent Coat — This ongoing winner of best rain jackets for dogs definitely earns its reputation. The elongated design covers your pet’s torso and extends up above the nape of the neck for extra protection from the elements.
- Ellie Dog Wear Zip Up Raincoat — The Ellie Dog Wear reflective jacket is designed to keep your dog dry with several features, including the zip-off hoodie, sleeves, and drawstring closures. This one’s a great jacket for those rainy days, especially for dogs of a smaller stature.
- Dura-Tech Insulated Waterproof Coat — This blanket style jacket is easy to slip on and off your dog and keeps them toasty on cold, wet days. This jacket includes a specially developed material that adds more insulation. It is also reflective for better visibility on dark morning walks.
- Weatherbetta Comfitec Parka Rain — You can’t beat this great cold or wet-weather parka. It ranges in fitted sizes for even the smallest terrier to the largest Great Dane. It’s also easy to get on and off, with its velcro strap that wraps the coat around your dog’s torso and belly.
- Ruffwear Sun Shower Rain Jacket — This PVC-free nylon jacket is lightweight and is oversized for full protection. Side release buckles secure the jacket, yet are easy to slip off when you head inside.
Best Dog Coats of 2020
Unless your dog has a thick winter undercoat, such as those of a Siberian Husky or Akita, they will likely benefit from a high-quality winter coat. Your choice in dog coat depends a lot on your pet’s size, weight, fur length, and time spent outdoors. When in doubt, your partners at OVRS can give you suggestions.
Overall, these coats scored high in durability, warmth, and comfort. Check them out!
- ThinkPet Warm Reversible Dog Coat — Who says winter has to be miserable? This ultra-warm, plush coat has thick layers and covers the belly. Your dog will love the comfort and ease of getting the jacket on and off, too.
- Hurtta Body Warmer Dog Bodysuit — When Old Man Winter comes knocking, this bodysuit keeps the bite out of the deep freeze. This suit is great for active dogs who love to run with you or play outdoors even through the colder months.
- Gooby Padded Winter Vest — For your toy and small breeds, comes this versatile and warm padded vest. This zip-up jacket is great for wind, rain, and snow for dogs up to 32 pounds.
- Zack and Zoey Dog Blanket Coat — The Zack and Zoey machine washable blanket coat makes life a cinch for a quick “throw on the coat” morning walk. The exterior has a waterproof barrier, while the inside offers comfort and warmth on cold days.
- Migohi Dog Jacket — If you have a flair for the stylish, this British style jacket reigns supreme. The lightweight jacket comes in a variety of colors and patterns, which is great for the doggo owner who loves fashion.
- Lesypet Puppy Coat — Let’s not forget the youngsters who need winter warmth. This coat is designed for puppies as well as very small breeds, like Chihuahuas, who tend to get cold easily. This snap on jacket features a faux fur-lined hoodie for added flair. Oh so adorable!
We hope these quality choices for best dog coats and rain jackets help you narrow down the best one for your four-legged friend. Dog winter coats and rain gear are a must for this region of the country, to avoid any adverse pet health and safety situations from the dip in the temperatures.
For additional suggestions or to schedule an appointment, please contact us! Stay warm out there!