Veterinary Referrals: Welcome!
It can be extremely intimidating when your veterinarian refers your pet to a different veterinary hospital for a problem. After all, you have come to trust him or her, and they know your pet. Why would you want to leave?
There are several very good reasons that your pet may be referred to our hospital:
• Your pet may need to see a specialist who has done extensive training in a specific area of veterinary medicine.
• Your pet needs a level of care that exceeds the capabilities of a general practice.
• Your pet has an emergency outside of your regular veterinarian’s normal hours.
Be assured that if your veterinarian has recommended referral, it is for a good reason. At Oakland Veterinary Referral Services, we do our absolute best to try to make your time here as comfortable and seamless as possible.
We accomplish successful veterinary referrals in a few ways:
- Your vet will be asked to provide us with all of your pet’s pertinent medical information so that we can make ourselves familiar with your pet’s individual situation prior to your visit to us.
- At the time of your visit we will review this history with you, examine your pet, and discuss your questions and concerns. We will then provide you with your pet’s treatment options and the relative costs of these options to help you to make a decision regarding your pet’s care.
- Once a course of action is decided upon, we will work as a team with you and your regular veterinarian to provide complete care. Think of us as part of your family. It is our goal to provide your pet with the best care possible, and that requires thorough and thoughtful communication with all parties involved.
Oakland Veterinary Referral services only sees patients on a referral basis, save for those require emergency care. It is our goal to transition your pet back to your trusted family veterinarian as quickly as possible, because that means your pet is doing well! And after all, isn’t that what everyone wants?